- West Africa Regional Policy Advisor
West Africa Regional Policy Advisor
(May 8, 2015) The Population Reference Bureau (PRB) seeks a West Africa Regional Policy Advisor to serve as the regional representative for PRB. The Advisor will assist PRB with expanding its country programs in West Africa and its regional initiatives, raising the visibility of PRB-produced materials and products, forming lasting productive relationships with key stakeholders, and helping to identify new areas of opportunity. The Advisor will also provide regional technical oversight for PRB activities in West Africa, including field support-funded activities under the USAID-funded Policy, Advocacy, and Communication Enhanced for Population and Reproductive Health (PACE) project and technical assistance activities in support of an advocacy hub funded by the Bill and Melinda Gates Foundation’s Bridging High-Impact Family Planning Communications and Advocacy project. The position will be located in West Africa with the exact location to be determined.
The West Africa Regional Policy Advisor will be responsible for liaising with key partners and donors in the field. The Advisor may also be asked to provide technical oversight of policy and communication activities in selected countries, help facilitate meetings or capacity building activities, and represent PRB at regional conferences or meetings. S/he will work in conjunction with the PRB East Africa Regional Policy Advisor in advising the Vice Presidents for International Programs and Global Partnerships.
Specific tasks for the West Africa Regional Policy Advisor include the following:
- Provide strategic direction and oversight and support for all projects in the West Africa region;
- Provide technical oversight and support for all projects (liaising with team leads from PRB home office);
- Identify new business opportunities for PRB to partner and/or bid for new projects;
- Develop a monitoring (and implementing) framework for regional programs;
- Provide leadership in and represent PRB in relevant regional and international meetings.
- Graduate degree in public health, demography, social sciences, or other related field.
- Minimum 10 years of experience designing, implementing, and managing complex policy communications, advocacy, and capacity building programs in Africa (West Africa preferred);
- Holds established relationships with regional reproductive health and demographic institutions and stakeholders in countries throughout the region. Has firsthand knowledge of the capabilities, strengths, and weaknesses of these institution.
- Significant experience in FP/RH;
- Experience conducting policy analyses, using data and evidence to advocate for policy change, and designing advocacy strategies;
- Solid skills in translating data, synthesizing, and writing for non-technical policy audiences;
- Excellent organizational, writing, and oral presentation skills; proficiency in Skype, GoToMeeting and other web-based communication platforms;
- Strong interpersonal skills and demonstrated ability to build relationships with stakeholders, local partners, host country governments, and international donor agencies—especially USAID;
- Must write and speak French fluently; proficient English speaking and writing skills preferred;
- Residence in West Africa
The Regional Advisor will be expected to travel up to 35 percent of her/his time.
Salary and Benefits
Salary is commensurate with qualifications and experience.
Please send resume and cover letter with salary requirements to “West Africa Policy Advisor” at email@example.com.
The Population Reference Bureau is an equal opportunity employer.