Understanding and Addressing the Issues
Humans and the environment are inextricably linked. Population size and age, fertility, mobility, settlement patterns, and resource availability and consumption all influence the impact we have on the environment. Solving the complex challenges we face today demands a better understanding of how these aspects of population impact the environment, how environmental change impacts our health and well-being, and what can be done to address these issues.
PRB's Population, Health, and Environment (PHE) program aims to:
- Increase awareness among decisionmakers, professionals, and advocates about population, health, and environment issues and integrated solutions.
- Build leadership and capacity to work on and communicate about population, health, and environment links.
- Develop regional networks for information sharing and collaboration.
- Strengthen journalists' reporting on population, health, and environment topics.
What We Do
Research, Analysis, and Outreach
PRB's PHE program conducts research and analysis on pressing population and environment issues. Our findings are produced in non-technical language in a variety of formats in order to reach a broad base of policymakers, project implementers, and interested individuals. We also organize conference sessions and speaking events, giving researchers and project implementers a chance to share their innovative findings with research and practice communities.
Capacity Building and Technical Assistance
PRB's PHE program provides training and technical assistance to developing country partners, international NGOs, and government agencies in a variety of capacities, including:
- Improving communication of technical issues, research and program findings, and implications to policymakers and those who influence policy.
- Developing and disseminating training resources such as toolkits, case studies, and manuals.
- Building coalitions, developing collaborative PHE partnerships, and designing, monitoring, and evaluating integrated projects.
Work With the Media
PRB's PHE program works to improve the quality and quantity of media coverage of PHE interactions. We conduct seminars to increase journalists’ understanding of these technical issues and give them first-hand exposure to PHE projects in the field.
PHE program publications, articles, and materials are indexed in the Environment topics page.