Teacher's Guide: Discussion Questions
Annual Renewable Freshwater Availability per Capita, 1950, 1995, 2050
Source: Population Action International, Sustaining Water, Erasing Scarcity.
- Outline some of the links between population and the environment.
- Describe how consumption patterns and population size may each contribute to environmental degradation.
- What are the implications of disparity between population size and energy production and consumption?
- Examine environmental data available online from organizations like the World Resources Institute (www.wri.org) and look at how these variables compare with what is happening in your local region or state with data available from organizations like the Environmental Protection Agency (www.epa.gov).
- Compare environmental data with demographic indicators on the World Population Data Sheet. Create two chloropleth maps for two comparable indicators.
- What are some important considerations to keep in mind when developing strategies or plans to ensure sustainable development?