Teacher's Guide: Discussion Questions
Women's Education and Family Size in Selected Countries, 2000s
Source: Demographic and Health Surveys, 2003–2006.
After examining the information on the figure, what can be observed about the relationship between women's education and family size?
- What are some of the ways that education can play a role in determining family size?
- What determines the number of children a woman will have?
- What are some of the factors that "indirectly" affect fertility?
- Contraceptive prevalence is a determinant of fertility. Using information from the World Population Data Sheet, prepare a graph to show the relationship between contraceptive use and fertility?
- What other indicators on the World Population Data Sheet might provide information on the status of women?
Consider how the status of women in the United States has affected family size.