Join us for a symposium comprised of two panels exploring the intersection of politics and policy around sexuality education in Nigeria and Mississippi.
The first panel will be dedicated to Nigeria, exploring the political and social factors that have facilitated and impeded prioritization of sexuality education at both the national and state levels. The second panel will focus on Mississippi with comparative reference to Nigeria, and discuss the strategies of proponents in addressing political challenges surrounding sexuality education policy adoption and implementation.
Both panels will draw on research conducted by scholars at American University and the University of Lagos, as well as the experience of funders and advocates central to sexuality education policy dynamics in both Nigeria and Mississippi. An interactive discussion will follow the panels, engaging scholars and practitioners to reflect on how to manage the political sensitivities surrounding sexuality education.
- Adenike Esiet, co-founder and executive director, Action Health, Inc.
- Josh McCawley, director of Teen Health Policy, Mississippi First
- Barbara Seligman, vice president of International Programs, Population Reference Bureau
- Erin Sines, director, MacArthur Foundation
- Jeremy Shiffman, professor, American University – The Politics of Sexuality Education Policy Adoption and Implementation in Nigeria
- Michael Kunnuji, senior lecturer, University of Lagos – Variable Implementation of Sexuality Education Across States in Nigeria: the Kano, Lagos and Niger examples
- Rachel Sullivan Robinson, associate professor, American University – Prioritizing Sexuality Education in Nigeria and Mississippi: The Importance of Local Actors, Creative Strategy, and Political Opportunity
Please join this meeting from your computer, tablet or smartphone.
You can also dial in using your phone.
United States (Toll-free): 1 877-309-2070
United States +1 312-757-3119
Access Code: 254-191-013
Join the conversation: #sexeducationpolitics
For more information, contact Matt Rigsby at email@example.com.