PRB produced policy reports and data sheets for four regions—Asia, Africa, Latin America and the Caribbean, and the Middle East and North Africa—that highlight the importance of taking action now to address noncommunicable disease (NCD) risk factors among youth.
The publications present the latest data on the prevalence of four key risk factors: tobacco use, harmful use of alcohol, physical inactivity, and unhealthy diet. Given that these behaviors are all modifiable and typically initiated or established during adolescence or young adulthood, the reports underscore the opportunity that low- and middle-income countries have to curb rising NCD epidemics, particularly across the four main NCDs: cardiovascular diseases, cancers, diabetes, and chronic lung diseases.
To launch these publications, we hosted events in Nairobi, New Delhi, and Dubai that were attended by a diverse group of stakeholders and facilitated dialogue about a way forward.
We also produced a policy report that advocates for integrating NCD services, particularly those focused on prevention and early intervention, with other health services targeting young people.
The regional publications and events for Asia, Africa, and the Middle East and North Africa, and the report on NCD service integration were produced with support from the AstraZeneca Young Health Programme. The publications for Latin America and the Caribbean were produced under PRB’s USAID-funded IDEA project, and in partnership with the Pan American Health Organization.
Key PRB Resources on Noncommunicable Diseases
- The Youth and NCDs Data Center provides prevalence data among youth on key risk factors
- Asia Policy Report and Data Sheet: Young People Are Asia’s Key to Curbing the Rise of Noncommunicable Diseases
- Asia Publication Launch Event: Noncommunicable Disease Report Launch
- Africa Policy Brief and Data Sheet: Youth are Key to Tackling Noncommunicable Diseases in Africa
- Africa Publication Launch Event: Noncommunicable Disease Report Launch
- Latin America Report: Noncommunicable Diseases and Youth: A Critical Window of Opportunity for Latin America/Caribbean
- Middle East and North Africa Report and Data Sheet: Curbing the Noncommunicable Disease Epidemic in the Middle East and North Africa: Prevention Among Young People is Key
- Service Integration Policy Report: Integrating Health Services for Young People: Tackling the Growing Noncommunicable Disease Epidemic