Promote National Development by Releasing Domestic Resources for Family Planning in Uganda

Access to safe, effective, affordable, and acceptable family planning methods is essential for those who want to limit and space pregnancies. Yet research shows a persistent gap in contraceptive commodity availability in Uganda, especially in public health facilities. About 90% of the funds earmarked for family planning in financial year 2019-2020 were used for pregnancy and maternal health care, leaving only 10% of funds for contraceptive commodities. Additionally, the COVID-19 pandemic and shifts in international donor funding have introduced new challenges that make commodities more difficult to access.

PRB partnered with the Coalition for Health Promotion and Social Development Uganda (HEPS-Uganda) to create a suite of products aimed at convincing policymakers of the need to fulfill Uganda’s family planning commitment and create a dedicated budget for family planning.

  • A comic book targets Members of Parliament to support family planning funding as a means of promoting national development.
  • A policy brief (updated in 2021 to reflect changes due to the COVID-19 pandemic) appeals to the Ministry of Finance, Planning, and Economic Development to create a dedicated budget line for family planning commodities to sustain availability of commodities.